I invented this a couple years ago and luckily I was able to re create it last weekend with Katie. I am not so good at writing down measurements, so spices are usually just my best estimate.
- Two cartons of cherry tomatoes (not sure how many oz. you could just use like 5 large and very ripe tomatoes)
- 5 oz fresh organic baby spinach (or more!)
6 cups veggie broth (for a thicker, more tomatoey soup, maybe just use 4. I used Rapunzel vegan boullion with herbs and sea salt)
- three cans organic garbanzo beans, drained of course
- one large yellow onion
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 red bell peppers
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- sea salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Bring broth to boil and simmer on low.(( add chick peas whenever. I like them to get soft, but if you don’t then just wait until later.))
- chop onion and peppers into bite size (we want them to get soft but not squishy), saute in olive oil on LOW heat. We dont want them getting brown
- Puree tomatoes, spices, garlic, vinegar and about 1/3 cup oil. Salt to taste.
- Test your tomato mixture. If it is yummy, pour it into simmering broth. If not, adjust spices and try again.
- Once the veggies are almost done, dump them in the pot, turn heat down, cover. let all the ingredients simmer and get to know each other for about 8 minutes.
- uncover pot and dump in allll the spinach you want. simmer some more, not too long. we want the spinach to stay yummy and green.
- add cayenne and salt to taste
I really love this soup. Lots of protein and tomatoey goodness:) Hope you enjoy
Because I was finishing up my journalism degree/got a new job (!!!)/ was going through a sad breakup. But for a while I have been getting recipe requests and I just can’t let everyone down!
Stay tuned for red pepper and chickpea soup! I taught my dear sweet katie how to make it last weekend and we ate the WHOLE POT.
so in order for my friends and family to eat well, i feel once again compelled to record my silly recipes and experiments :)